Friday 20 March 2015

Transitions

Hitting an interesting point in my pre-clerkship training right now.

We just finished two blocks that I really enjoyed, somewhat unexpectedly. MSK was great - I feel like I learned a lot, but never felt overwhelmed. I don't expect to go into a MSK-focused field like orthopedics or physiatry, so I didn't go into the course anticipating that I'd find it all that interesting, but I really did. Most of what I am looking at will involve some sort of MSK knowledge, so I'll take that as a win.

We also had a short Emergency Medicine block. I loved it. Every part of it. The underlying knowledge base I find fascinating, the clinical decision-making seems logically and useful, while its role in medicine intrigues me more than I thought it would. I'm now seriously considering emergency medicine as a specialty, after I had all but written it off.

Yet, we're now entering the final two blocks of my pre-clerkship training: Neurology and Psychiatry. I will not be a neurologist or psychiatrist. I do find some of these fields very interesting, but they're mixed with other aspects I find overly tedious. There's a lot of detail-oriented material with questionable relevance to clinical practice. These will be tough blocks to get through, especially with clerkship so close.

It's going to be a real challenge to stay focused on the classroom when all I want to do is get into the clinical setting. About all I can do at this point is to tell myself that I just need to get past these two final blocks and then the fun can start. Home stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment