Saturday 28 February 2015

Egg On My Face (Hockey Edition)

So, after claiming this was buyer's market before the NHL trade deadline, the actual market is proving me very, very wrong.

Toronto only got a middling return on Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli, but other trades have generated fairly strong returns. Winnik, Jagr, Sekara, and Timonen fetched far higher of a price than I would have expected (especially Timonen). Only Bergernheim came in below price, and that was a fairly unique situation.

How do I explain my failure? Well, more buyers popped up than expected. LA, Minnesota and Winnipeg went from being tentative buyers to being all the way in. Pittsburgh and Chicago made moves to improve their post-season chances despite being in relatively poor position compared to previous years. I'm guessing other buyers have been shopping around but have other targets or weren't willing to pony up as much for the pieces that were already moved.

None of this changes that I was wrong, but it's been fun to see how I got things wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment