Tuesday 15 November 2016

So, About Last Tuesday...

I'd feel almost neglectful if I didn't touch on the US election last week. This blog is primarily about medicine and healthcare, so my intention was to touch on the numerous effects a Trump presidency is likely to have on the health of people in America as well as those abroad. However, since starting this piece, both major media outlets and more healthcare-focused sites have provided analysis of this with various degrees of depth, and I'm not sure I have much to add. Fortunately, the effects are fairly easy to sum up without losing too much with the brevity - a large number of people, mostly poor or sick people, will lose their health insurance or will end up with less-comprehensive coverage.

Of course, health effects will depend on exactly what policies Trump choose to enact, whether unilaterally through executive action, or through legislation by working with Congress, so it's hard to say exactly what will happen. Nevertheless, the proposals presented thus far all lead to that somewhat over-simplistic conclusion above according to multiple independent analyses.

It's a striking reminder that health depends on so much more than medicine. The sum of medical knowledge and ability in the US is constantly increasing, but the health of its citizens is likely to worsen if Trump proceeds as promised during his campaign. Keeping engaged in the political process and involved in advocacy roles are both important ways for physicians to influence the wider society that has far greater effects on patient health than most physicians' direct actions.

Like many disappointed by Trump's victory, I take this result as a spur to action. No, I'm not American, but it's a reminder that undesirable outcomes are often the result of complacency and that to see sustained progress, sustained effort is required. While I do use this blog as a way to express my viewpoints openly and honestly, I would like to make a more concerted effort to be directly involved in how the world is run around me. That said, as we see protests spring up across America, I'm equally reminded that hate is not the answer to hate. Most of the protests are peaceful, but some are not, and violence cannot be the answer even when other viable options are available.

Lastly, I'm reminded that effective advocacy should be one of the final steps to enacting change, not one of the first. Before pushing for what we think is right, it's vitally important that we take the time to determine what right is. Too often, advocates assume their positions are correct without ever challenging their own viewpoints, and good intentions are no substitute for a considered, informed opinion. Reading, listening, and learning are essential before - and after - speaking out. That includes
paying attention to those viewpoints opposed to yours. Those opposing views don't need to be accepted, but they should at least be understood. Furthermore, when asking the world to change, we first should consider how we can change ourselves. No one's perfect and that's an unrealistic goal, but there is always something we can do to change our actions and behaviours to do further our own priorities for the world.

I do a lot of my advocacy through this blog and other online postings. It's not a particularly effective approach - those who come to the read the blog are typically sympathetic to my viewpoints already, so I'm largely preaching to the choir. So, I feel the need to take a few more direct steps. My first is by starting some regular charitable contributions to causes I care about, putting my (currently limited) money where my mouth is. My goal has always been to give a significant potion of my income to these or similar charities, so despite my growing debt, I might as well start now, as I'm finally on the verge of having a real income. While I've always been involved with school projects that I feel are meaningful, I'm going to try to spend my last year and hopefully my residency as well, with more direct involvement in the curricular side of medical education. Lastly, I'm looking into ways to be involved in the political process. I'm not sure what form that will take, as I'm not particularly partisan and not sure how I feel about joining any political party, but it's time I explore my options. Staying on the relative sidelines, where writing and voting are my only methods of influencing policy, just doesn't feel like enough at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment