Sunday 8 May 2016

Commuting

I'm doing an out-of-town elective for the next little while, and that means it's time for some commuting!

I expected the extra travel time to be a bit of a drain, but it's turned out reasonably well. Because of where I live, it's almost faster for me to travel cross-country to get to another city than it was to get to the main hospital where most of my clerkship rotations are held. A good part of that is because I save 10 minutes in parking time, thanks to a rather full parking garage that greets me even when I show up at 6 am.

Plus the drive is so much more enjoyable through the countryside than it is through the city, particularly in the spring. Nicer views, less traffic. Even with a fair number of tractors on the road, it's a much more predictable, manageable commute.

I'm virtually all-in for Family Medicine now, so the main questions now are where to do residency, where to ultimately practice, and what that practice should look like. I'm pretty ambivalent about the rural vs urban divide, so getting as much of the experience as possible in both settings is a goal for me at this stage. Right now, +1 for rural/semi-rural for the commute (though that'll probably change in the winter...)

No comments:

Post a Comment