Monday 30 May 2016

Beginning of the End (of Clerkship)

One more block left of Clerkship and I'm done. I can see the end of this year in sight, and then it's onto the awesomeness of 4th year electives. With the sun finally coming out as well, it's a fairly invigorating time!

Well, except for the one small detail that the final block standing between me and the finish line is surgery...

I am not a surgeon. My physical skills are fine, I can behave myself in an OR, but my tolerance for the personal and physical sacrifices necessary to make it as a surgeon is pretty low. I don't care how amazing performing surgeries is, I have no interest in doing anything for 12 hours a day every day. Heck, if you told me surgery was playing video games and eating ice cream 12 hours a day, I'd still probably have to say no. And I like video games and ice cream a whole lot more than I like being in an OR.

We had our orientation today for the surgery block and it went really well, but looming over it all was the prospect (promise?) of missing out on a lot of sleep, a lot of life, or both. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I'm dreading it'll be and/or that my enthusiasm for being on the home stretch of clerkship will carry me through relatively unscathed. It'll all be done in 3 months, one way or another, so I suppose I should just strap in for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment