Monday 21 December 2015

Documentation

I requested a rotation away from my home school for my FM block, one that I'm really excited about. Unfortunately, I've just been informed that I have to submit a giant heaping pile of documentation about my immunization status. Now, I've had to submit all this stuff to my home school already. I've had to submit it to the hospital three times. I had to submit it to my undergrad school too, plus at least two volunteer groups. At some point along the line, can't it be assumed that either I'm immune to the things they want me to be immune to, or at least I'm so good at faking it that I'll fool them too?

They don't just want the documentation either - they want a physician or nurse to sign off on it. Exactly what a physician or nurse can do to look at my documentation that anyone with eyes can't, I have no idea, but it's required, so I have to do it.

Worst, I don't know where my N95 mask certification went. I think it got automatically submitted to my home school and I have to go through them to get it, but I may have just lost it, which means I'll have to repeat the testing since my previous was slightly over 2 years old. Nevermind that I've been tested at least 4 times, each time getting fitted with the 1870 mask. Nevermind that I've never had to use an N95 mask and am starting on a rotation where the likelihood of me needing one or even being in a facility with a variety of N95 masks on hand is slim-to-none. Nevermind that if I do need to wear one, since I don't shave every day - and am not required to - the small amount of stubble I'm likely to have would break the seal. Nope, if I can't find that piece of paper that confirms what another piece of paper from 2 years ago said, I'll have to go through the testing process all over again.

Just a great use of my time, the doctor or nurse's time I'll have to take up, and healthcare/medical education dollars in general.

Anyway, it'll get done. I had to get a lot of this stuff together anyway for electives in the fall, but it was a bit shocking to be rushed into it on my first day on vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment