Tuesday 21 June 2016

Home Call

Got my first real taste of home call this week.

So far my experience has been with in-hospital call, which is a bit more onerous, but also a bit more predictable. I lucked out and got a very light call shift this time around, basically never getting called in. The previous shift was hectic, going until late at night. If home call was just bad-vs-good shifts, I wouldn't be concerned, since who's really going to complain about a light workday, especially when you get to spend much of it at home? Well, home call means no guaranteed post-call day. If the home call turns out to be light, or at least not horribly bad, it means a full day the next day.

I hate that level of uncertainty. I really like to know when I'm showing up and roughly when I'm leaving. If an extraordinary situation occurs, then of course I'll stay longer and I come in early when I think it will help. Yet, sitting around not knowing whether or not I'll have to rush into hospital, not knowing when I'll get to go home once I'm there, not knowing how long I'll get to sleep, not knowing whether I have the next day off to rest.

In-hospital call isn't exactly enjoyable, but at least I'm aware of what's coming. I expect to be up all or most of the night. Any sleep is bonus. I expect a day off the next morning.

I'm starting to realize that while I do want a specialty with shorter hours, consistent hours might be more important. It's hard to plan your life when your time truly isn't your own and the scope of your obligations change on a whim.

No comments:

Post a Comment