Wednesday 28 December 2016

Vacation Sick, Once Again

My school has us finishing up our clinical electives in December, which leaves us a full 2 weeks off during the holiday season, a nice break after having had only 3 weeks off total in the last 16 months. It's a nice opportunity to de-stress before CaRMS interviews and the last set of coursework over the winter.

So, of course, it's time for me to get sick again. It's just a cold this time, thankfully, so it's not too bad, but once again, any off time has to come with some sort of illness. I'm not even upset anymore, more wondering how/why this keeps happening. My guess is either that I'm carrying around an infection pretty much constantly, but that my immune system is constantly suppressed by stress and fatigue while on clinical placements, or my immune system is just terrible all the time and I lose my protective layer of alcohol-based hand wash when out of a hospital setting.

The next break I get will come during the CaRMS interview tour in just a few weeks, as my relatively small number of interviews gets contrasted with my school's very generous amount of time off for these interviews. For a variety or reasons, I'm hoping my sick-during-vacation streak gets broken this time around...

No comments:

Post a Comment